Who Are We?
- The group is called United Kingdom Taekwon-Do Council (UKTC).
- The UKTC is affiliated to the world governing body World ITF Taekwon-Do Council (WITC).
- The ITF is the original Taekwon-Do organisation, founded by Gen Choi.
- The UKTC is a member of the Scottish Council of Taekwon-Do (SCoT), and Taekwon-Do Association of Northern Ireland (TANI), two official governing bodies for Taekwon-Do in the United Kingdom.
- All our Instructors are fully qualified and insured to teach Taekwon-Do within the United Kingdom.
What is Taekwon-Do?
Taekwon-Do literally means Foot (Tae) Hand (Kwon) Art (Do) - the Art of Hand and Foot fighting. Taekwon-Do is a Korean Martial art. The Founder of Taekwon-Do was General Choi Hong Hi. The name Taekwon-Do was given to this fighting art on 11th April 1955 by Gen Choi.
The UKTC was founded in 1993 by Grand Master Peter Harkess, Grand Master Derek Campbell and Master Stephen Rooney. Starting with only a handful of clubs in Central Scotland, the UKTC has grown to become the largest ITF Taekwon-Do organisations in the UK with over 300 clubs, a membership of approximately 12,000 Students, and approximately 100 Instructors. The UKTC is dedicated to promoting Taekwon-Do as taught by the Founder, General Choi Hong Hi.
The UKTC under the guidance of the WITC, and as a member group of the SCoT and TANI, is an organisation dedicated to creating the highest quality of Instructor to ensure the best level of Taekwon-Do tuition in the UK.